My Hamlet Review Drafts

If anyone ever wanted to see my writing process for the reviews that I post on this blog, today is your lucky day. I'm pleased to announce that I'm sharing my never before seen drafts for my review for Hamlet, which I posted last year...

Perhaps someday someone hoping to be a book review blogger or a writer will find some inspiration and guidance by seeing this process. 


Draft #1

Dis book iz so good. It iz kool. I iz floored by the epicness of dis book. It rulez. Shakedawg iz a fab dude. Def read. 



Draft #2

That seemed a bit too colloquial so I had to try again. I decided to try a bit of poetry instead. 

Family troubles,
Lots of bodies cover stage.
Emo dude dies. Dang.


Draft #3

But a casual haiku just didn't seem to cut it, so I decided to use an older form - the Petrarchan sonnet!! 

Hamlet's dad is dead
He mourns, the castle is sad
His uncle's a jerk who is very bad
Revenge is needed, his father said

Claudius - the uncle - should fill with dread
For Hamlet is ready to catch the cad
Who sits and rules, smiling so glad
By play's end, empty will be his bed

Hamlet hosts a play of his own
And hires actors to star in it
Yet still he procrastinates

Still his uncle sits on the throne, 
But not for long, here ends the skit 
For Hamlet - though dead - justice demonstrates

Draft #4

My last sonnet turned into more of a generic summary than a review. So I decided to try a Shakespearean one that might ring more true. 

I like this play, 
It is old, but good.
It is written in a way
That could be misunderstood.

The meaning could be gray
But with some time, readers should
Understand what it is meant to say,
Which isn't appropriate for those in childhood.

Enjoyment is best when plans go astray 
When Hamlet - act he could
Yet he doesn't, his resolution sways
And make up his mind, we wish he would.

All in all, 5 stars this play gets.
Multiple times I've read it with zero regrets. 


And once I was done writing this one, I realized that I should just stick to my usual reviewing format instead, with a little more commentary added in. So that's how we got here and may you all have a very happy APRIL FOOLS!!!!  

Comments