Reading Round-Up: December 2020

Well here we are. The end of the year 2020. This is the last Reading Round-Up post of this year. That is pretty crazy to think about and it has been a very long year.

Here's what I read this December: 


The Maze Runner The Scorch Trials The Story of Snow: The Science of Winter's Wonder The Death Cure Thrawn Howl's Moving Castle Doctor Aphra Volume 1

The List: 
  • The Maze Runner #1 by James Dashner
  • The Maze Runner #2: The Scorch Trials by James Dashner
  • The Story of Snow: The Science of Winter's Wonder by Mark Cassino & Jon Nelson
  • The Maze Runner #3: The Death Cure by James Dashner
  • Thrawn #1: Timothy Zahn
  • Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones
  • Doctor Aphra Vol. 1: Aphra by Marvel Comics (Kieron Gillen, Kev Walker, & Kamome Shirahama)
The Maze Runner is the first book in James Dashner's The Maze Runner series. I have been meaning to read this series for a while and my sister made sure to check it out for me earlier this year, just in time for staying home during the pandemic. We will talk about this book in a future review. 

The Scorch Trials is the second book in The Maze Runner series. I decided to try and binge read the series this month. I succeeded in reading the main trilogy. This next month I'm planning to finish reading both prequel sequel novels. 

The Story of Snow is a picture book that I read through my local library's e-book collection. I wanted a quick read for the season. It is a very short book and is generally pretty dry, but it has good information and the photographs of snowflakes are spectacular. 

The Death Cure is the final book in The Maze Runner main trilogy. Just like the other two in the series, we will discuss this book in a later post. 

Star Wars: Thrawn #1 is the first book in the Thrawn trilogy by Timothy Zahn. This is a canon novel in the Star Wars expanded universe. Timothy Zahn had already written a trilogy of Thrawn books that became "Legends" instead of canon, which I have not yet read. We will talk about this book in a later Force Friday post. 

Howl's Moving Castle is a classic fantasy novel by Diana Wynne Jones. I reviewed this book back in 2014 (Howl's Moving Castle Review). I wanted to re-read it so I could read the later two companion novels that Jones wrote with the story fresh in mind.

Doctor Aphra, Volume 1: Aphra collects the first six issues of the Marvel comic series. This is a canon comic that follows the Darth Vader comic series that Marvel did. I have not yet read Darth Vader, but I will get around to it. I read this first volume as part of research for a writing sample I was working on.  

This concludes the final Reading Round-Up post of 2020! I'm going to keep doing this feature this next year, because it makes it easier for me to see what I've read and to remember what my year was like. Hopefully you have been able to find some new reads based on the books I've shared and will continue to read more reviews and posts here in the future!

Happy reading, and a very happy new year!

Comments