Bikers, Fire, and Vampires REVIEWING: The Dead Girls' Dance

When I first began this blog, I posted up a review for the first book in the Morganville Vampires series. It's taken me long enough, but I finally bring you the review for the second book. You can follow the following link to read the first review: 
The Morganville Vampires #1: Glass Houses


The Morganville Vampires-Book Two: The Dead Girls' Dance

Author: Rachel Caine
Genre: Horror/Paranormal/YA 
Year of Publication: 2007

The Dead Girls' Dance is the second book in the Morganville Vampires series. I read the first book a couple of years ago. I had so much other reading and college work to do that I never read the next one. I've been wanting to read this one for such a long time! I could always remember the ending of Book One, but not the exact details. Coming into this book I knew the main characters and knew that there were vampires in a Texas town called Morganville. As I read on, I began to remember bits and pieces of the first book and I ultimately ended up enjoying this book a whole lot.

This book continues where Glass Houses left off. There was a fire at the house where the main character Claire is now living and Shane's father has come to town. Then things get crazy. Shane's dad is the leader of a bunch of bikers and he wants nothing more than to kill the vampires that live in Morganville. Shane, Claire, Eve, and Michael find themselves caught up in lots of drama and death and must find a way to keep themselves out of it. This works great until a vampire is killed and Shane is pegged as the murderer. Claire and her friends must find a way to prove Shane's innocence and set things right....or as right as they can be in a town full of vampires. 

The cover is nice. It isn't exceptional however. I'm not sure that it really captures what the book is really all about, but it has a good YA vampire story feel to it. The shades of blue and black are nice. The cover probably won't be the reason why this book is picked up. That will be done mostly by the title and the fact that it is part of a series. Personally I thought the cover for the first book was more mysterious and eye catching. 

I really enjoyed the little tidbits of Texas (mentions of the weather, the Alamo, and chili) and I liked the characters a lot more this time. I finished this book in a day and kept wanting to read it. It kept a pretty consistent forward moving pace. I am looking forward to reading the next book in the series. I have a lot more things to read so I don't know when I'll get to book three. If anyone is particularly wanting me to review more books in this series then I'll gladly put it towards the front of my list. My favorite parts of the book were the moments between Shane and Claire. I liked the romantic tension and there were some really sweet moments included. I also really enjoy the dynamics between characters as well as the emotional bond and tensions between the characters. 

Overall, The Dead Girls' Dance is a fun book that heightens the ante that was presented in the first book. It is a good sequel that leaves lots of room for development in the books to come. In my opinion, this book is a ✯✯✯✯. It has good pacing and characters and is written well. It is also pretty straightforward. While this book isn't incredibly exceptional, its worth reading at least once. 

Comments