Jewelers, Parties, and Women! REVIEWING: Breakfast at Tiffany's

I made another outing to the library and picked up 4 more books (not including the 8 I bought at a sale they were having). My sister brought me one that my mom showed her to show me and once I started reading it, there was just no stopping.

I'm sure a lot of us have heard of the movie Breakfast at Tiffany's or heard the song by Deep Blue Something. I have also read a series called The Clique, by Lisi Harrison and one of the books is called Bratfest at Tiffany's. However, I had no clue that it was originally a novella written in 1958. I was a tad intrigued when I saw it was a written work and not too long, so I jumped into it. I have only seen the movie once and it seems like it was a very long time ago. This book also included 3 short stories that were written by Truman Capote, but I will not be saying anything about those since the focus for today is Breakfast at Tiffany's.

Please note that I read this classic for fun and will not be going as in depth as I would if I were looking at it from an English Classics study-pick the themes and main points- perspective. I'm not looking for themes or symbolism, I'm just looking for a good book.


THE BOOK:

Breakfast at Tiffany's

Author:  Truman Capote
Genre: Fiction
Year: 1958

(I wanted to do the title in a nice Robin's egg blue, to match the Tiffany & Co. boxes, but I didn't have it in the color palette) I began this book and was very lost in the wording. I don't know why but the wording just felt so delicately lined and enchanting. I was losing myself in the world of the book and the characters. Not all the characters are charming, but Miss Golightly certainly is, even if at times she becomes repulsive, to say the least.
 

Breakfast at Tiffany's: A Short Novel and Three StoriesI consider myself to be rather conservative and could've done without all the use of "dyke" particularly from Golightly. With additional "research" I see that I may just be a tad naive in my reading. I didn't get that the unnamed narrator could be indicated as a homosexual..I didn't get that vibe at all. And then now looking back it turns out he is a bit of a gigolo and I hadn't even realized that. I was so lost in the atmosphere of the words that it all just never dawned on me.


All of that aside, I really enjoyed Breakfast at Tiffany's. The words written were pleasant (for the most part) and I got hooked enough to where I finished it in just a few hours. Golightly is quite the character. Can't say good or bad really, my opinion of her has varied a lot. The least I can say is that she's unforgettable. She definitely has her quirks to be sure.

So I suppose that by now you all are wondering what in the world this book is even about. The story opens with the narrator meeting with a man he knew and they begin to talk. The name Holly Golightly comes up and I really started wondering who she is and what the big deal was. I still don't know what the big deal about her is, but she is definitely interesting. The book basically just recounts the acquaintance the narrator had of Ms. Golightly. We learn how their interactions were and why the book is called Breakfast at Tiffany's in the first place. I'm sure a lot of us are familiar with the Tiffany & Co. They're pretty well known for being a classy and expensive place, but who could ever forget the really pretty color of their boxes? Here is the link to their store: Tiffany & Co.  Tiffany & Co. has been selling jewelry and other items to people since 1837.

Overall, I'd say Breakfast at Tiffany's is a rather good read. I'd probably have to read it again in a few years to get it all. I would have liked to give it a 4, unfortunately overall I can't give it the extra point, but going down to a 3 underrates the writing I so enjoyed and the fervor with which I read. A 3.5 will have to suffice as a middle compromise.

It is quick to read, not too lengthy in the least. Miss Golightly is also a character ingrained in American Literature who people should be familiar with if they know anything of American lit. Tom Sawyer, Huckleberry Finn and Holden Caulfield are a couple others. These are characters well worth getting to know. Each has their quirks that make them just as unique as every other person alive. I give this book a Lone Star rating of ✯✯✯ and a half


Movie Comparison

After watching the movie, I don't feel like I could talk about it by itself enough to consider it reviewed so I'll just skip ahead to the comparison bit between the movie and book. Also, I'm just going to keep it short and sweet this time around since I still have a couple of short stories I need to get to.

The movie and book have different endings and the movie was made cleaner than the book. The nameless narrator from the book has a name now and it is now more romantic and sweet than the book. There is less vulgarity than in the book too. The ending for the book is completely open and leaves the reader to make decisions for themselves. Definitely leaves you thinking and considering. Overall, it just depends on what you prefer. Do you prefer never knowing what happens or do you prefer sweet happy endings?

Overall, both are definitely worthwhile. The book was enchantingly written and the characters are nothing short of unique and varied. The movie is charming and delightful, heartwarming even.


Overall, this volume of stories is rather good. It begins enchantingly and ends on a sad note, but allows much thought to be put in even after finishing them all. Its quick to read, but heavy on thought. 

This concludes this review of some of Truman Capote's work. Thanks for reading!

Comments