Book Review: Beezus and Ramona

Hello! Welcome to yet another book review here at The Real World According To Sam. Today's book is directed toward a younger group of readers. It was forced upon me by my mom and little sister. I'm just kidding. I don't read against my will. My mom read the books about Ramona when she was younger....I didn't pick up on them, but my little sister sure did!! So all three of us took a go and as per request from my little sister, here is the review for it. Hope y'all enjoy!

Beezus and Ramona

Author: Beverly Cleary
Genre: Children's Fiction
Year: 1955

New Re-release Cover
Beezus and Ramona came out in 1955. Just recently (2010), a movie was made based on this book, starring Selena Gomez as older sister Beezus. 

So Beezus and Ramona is the story of 2 sisters. Beezus (Beatrice) and Ramona Quimby. Beezus is 9 about to turn 10 and little Ramona is 4. The book basically tells 6 short, but interconnected tales of the interactions and relationship between them. Beezus is growing up, but Ramona is just as pesky as any other little sister. She throws tantrums when she doesn't get her way for one. She is very imaginative and for some odd reason likes being read books                                   about steam shovels.
   
Beezus frequently has to keep an eye on Ramona and even take her places, like the library and Beezus's art class. The book is 6 chapters and each is very entertaining and fun. Overall its a really lighthearted story that allows big sisters to not feel so alone in their experiences and to get a better understanding of their "mini-me's." For all readers it could be very cute and sweet, as well as being simple enough for young readers to enjoy. It is a great choice for beginning the transition from picture and minor chapter books to bigger chapter books. The characters are fun and well developed and the stories are just waiting to make you laugh...from scribbled in library books to parades and even applesauce. 

Alternate Movie Cover
This book was very pleasant and I was able to read it in an hour or two. It makes a great book for discussion and it will definitely be something I use as a reference to jumpstart conversations with my sister. "Remember when Ramona did....or when Beezus was...." I would recommend this book to sisters in particular, because they could really learn a lot about dealing with one another and connecting on a better level. I give this book a Lone Star rating of ✯✯✯✯.
Thanks for reading!

P.S. Issa------You're welcome, little sister

Comments