Book Review: Bullheaded Black Remembers Alexander

Today's book review won't be too long, I promise. I'll keep it simple and to the point.

What I'm Listening To:

  • He's A Pirate performed by David Garrett
  • You Raise Me Up performed by David Garrett


Bullheaded Black Remembers Alexander
The Story of Alexander the Great's Invasion of the Middle East

Author: J. L. Taylor
Genre: Historical Fantasy
Year: 2006


Synopsis:

1709165
------as taken from back cover


Before there was Christianity, there was Alexander. Before there was Islam, there was Alexander. Unfortunately for the world, however, dreams like his did not flower profusely again until 1776 in the New World. Surely he would have been astonished to learn that today religious freedom and individual liberty only exist as green tendrils in much of the Middle East, sprouting here and there precariously following the American invasion of Afghanistan and Iraq. 


Review:

I won this book from a Goodreads Giveaway. Normally, I'm not so great with history. Usually the things I enjoy reading about are ancient civilizations and medieval times. I've never been too good at history, but this book allowed me to have a much easier time getting interested in history and keeping my interest. 

In this book, Bucephalus/Bullheaded Black tells Pegasus all about his master, Alexander the Great. It is pretty obvious that J.L. Taylor did his homework. He displays a great show of historical knowledge. 

I also really liked the idea of having the story of Alexander told directly from the horses' mouth. Especially since the horse we're hearing it from is one of the most famous horses in history. 

This is a great choice of book for learning about Alexander's expeditions. I wish I could have had books similar to this in history classes I've taken. Bullheaded Black Remembers Alexander The Great is a great teaching resource and an extraordinary way to get children interested in learning about history. I would like to see more books like this get published and distributed throughout the public school system. I give this book a Lone Star rating of ✯✯✯✯.

Until the next time we meet, 
Farewell!

Comments