Comic Crazy: Voracious #1

Hey y'all!

Happy belated Independence Day!!!

For the past several months I have been reading comics, NON-STOP.
Later on I might put up a post showing the titles that I'm currently reading in case anyone is looking for something interesting to look out for or try. I love sharing comics and seeing what others are reading.  Today though, I want to just focus on this crazy comic that I picked up in May, but just now read.

As usual, my family, boyfriend, and I went to one of our local comic shops for Free Comic Book Day this year (shout out to the awesome guys at Asylum who do a FANTASTIC job with their events EVERY year. It is definitely the BEST comic shop in town and my #1 comic stop for any major comic event).


Label reads: "WARNING: This issue contains some strong language and a dinosaur on fire! You're welcome."

Voracious #1

Published by Action Lab under their Danger Zone division of comics
Comic Team: Written by Markisan Naso, Color Art by Andrei Tabacaru, Art/Lettering/Design by Jason Muhr
Rated: T+ for Mature Readers
Published December 2015

Please heed the labels, even if you know young people who like dinosaurs, this is only appropriate for readers aged 15+ due to the language and the obvious fact that this guy is gonna be cooking up some dinosaurs, and potentially chopping up some things given that cleaver he is wielding on the cover. 

Anyone who knows me knows why I picked this comic up. Josh (my boyfriend) and I are massive dinosaur nuts, so this was a must-have. I'm not thrilled at the idea of chopping up dinosaurs to bits to make food, but the idea in of itself is so unique that it makes for a really interesting concept. The dinosaurs on the cover are gorgeous art wise. How can you not want to read this comic after seeing that cover? It is SO enticing and different from a lot of the standard comics that I see or casually read. I had to have this so I could find out HOW this chef fit in with these dinosaurs. I wondered if he was going to be cooking them or if he somehow was being forced to cook for them. I just had to know how this chef and the dinosaurs fit together, considering the millions of years that set the two apart from one another biologically/evolutionary wise. 

If he was cooking them, how did he get access to their meat? Is it an alternate world where dinosaurs exist? If so, would this count as murder to some degree? Are dinosaurs farm bred for consumption like cows and chickens? Or is this guy being forced to cook for dinosaur overlords and now wanting to escape and plans to do so by killing them off one by one? At this point, I know what the story is, but before I read it speculating what was inside the pages was half the fun. 

Here is the summary from Action Labs' site: 

Haunted by the death of his sister, NYC Chef Nate Willner has lost his desire to cook. Forced to move back to his tiny hometown in Utah, Nate's life is quickly becoming a dead end. But when he unexpectedly inherits a time travel suit that takes him to the age of dinosaurs, Nate's passion for cooking is reignited!

With a little help from his knife-wielding Grandmother Maribel, and friends Starlee and Captain Jim, Nate opens a restaurant that secretly serves dinosaur meat. Can he survive long enough to make it a success and turn his life around?

The main premise is that this guy loves to cook and his life has taken a turn for the worst leaving him not wanting to do what he loves. His life changes thanks to the presence of a long absent uncle, an inheritance, and some science fiction treats that have really made me wonder what direction this series is going to be heading in. I am going to need to seek out the next several issues, maybe even eventually pick up the collected volumes so that I can see where it goes. I'm super engrossed already and the dinosaur artwork is just too wonderful to pass up as a lover of dinosaurs and comics. 

This comic for me definitely rates ✯✯✯Lone Stars out of 5, because it peaked my interest immediately, the artwork is good quality, my attention was held from cover to cover, and there is a lot of room for it to grow story wise. 

All you dinosaur and comic lovers out there need to give this one a shot. It isn't overly gruesome or horrific where the art is concerned. Definitely not the most grotesque comic I have read. There is more language than gross imagery or visuals. I'm really looking forward to reading more of this series and I hope more people pick it up and give it a shot! This first issue is a solid start and worth checking out. 

Comments