Geese, Landscapes, and Lighthouses: REVIEWING The Snow Goose

The Snow Goose

Author: Paul Gallico
Genre: Classic/Fiction/Folktale
Year of Publication: 1941

The Snow Goose is a story that is relatively short. The copy I read was only 58 pages long, so I guess this could qualify as a short story. It tells the tale of a man who is deformed and, therefore, isn't appealing on the outside. He is an artist who loves everything that is alive. He paints landscapes and he especially has a love for birds. When he was younger, he bought a lighthouse and lived in it. He had a pen where birds who were migrating could stop and stay before continuing on when the seasons changed. The story tells about the friendship he develops with a little girl and a snow goose. The snow goose helps the little girl to see the beauty and kindness within the man, despite his physical appearance. 

The Snow GooseI really enjoyed this story! For starters, it was beautifully written. The book starts off with a great description of the area and the landscape that really takes you away to another place. Even when the characters are finally introduced, the detailed prose continues. The characters were very well developed, even if they only had 58 pages of show time. I was very impressed with how much the author was able to express in such a seemingly small amount of time. The plot is simple, but it packs a lot of meaning and depth. I found that there was a lot of sincerity to the writing. I'm really glad I read this book, even though I honestly only picked it up to begin with because it was so short. It was pleasantly surprising to discover how great a story lies within the brevity. I'm not sure what I expected, but it wasn't what I got. It was so much more than I could have asked for or imagined. I HIGHLY recommend this story to anyone who loves birds and well written prose. It took me less than an hour to read, but I would definitely go back and read it again a couple times if I had the opportunity. It is one of the books that I will always remember. It truly deserves a ✯✯✯✯✯ out of 5. The Snow Goose really tugs at your heart strings and makes you want to open your heart to others. 

Thanks for reading this review, I hope you come back next Wednesday for another, here at The Real World According To Sam. 

Comments