Movie Review: Eat Pray Love

Mom recently picked this one up at the library. We really enjoy watching the Big Bang Theory and Raj mentioned this movie in one of the episodes. We just had to watch it for ourselves.
The Real World According To Sam gives you:

Eat Pray Love
Release Year: 2010
Genre: Romantic Drama
My Rating: 3/5
Eat Pray Love (2010)
The premise:   (as read on the movie cover)

"Believing there's more to life than a husband, house and career, Liz Gilbert (Julia Roberts) finds herself with  a new appetite for life in this inspiring true story, based on the bestselling book. She leaves New York and embarks on a yearlong journey--traveling to Italy, India and Bali--seeking self-discovery through good food, meditation and the prospect of finding true love. James Franco, Billy Crudup and Javier Bardem co-star in this sumptuous and uplifting adventure filled with humor and heart."

Trailer:

When I first watched this movie, I had heard of the novel but had never really looked at it or knew what it was about. As I was watching I was under the impression that a lady had written a novel and it was turned into a movie. At certain parts in the movie I was thinking, "Who wrote this stuff?"  and "This scene would be better if.." After the movie, I was watching the credits and saw that it said based on the book by Elizabeth Gilbert. I found it odd that an author would go so far as to name a character after themselves. Sure they base certain characteristics or quirks but never a whole name. Then I went online and looked at the book to get a better feel for what I watched and that was when I realized that it was a memoir. A true story...of someone's life. I felt kinda silly. Now I realize why this movie played out the way it did. 

Taking it as a fictional story I was thrown by some of the events and the lack of connection between some of the places and occurrences. Knowing it to be a memoir, it makes sense that everything wouldn't fit into place. It also throws into relief the fact that things from the book probably weren't included in the movie so I have the opportunity to read it later and accept it for what it truly is. 

Overall, there is a lot to be learned from this movie, whether you know if it is a memoir or not. Definitely gives you something to ponder and things to learn about yourself. This is the type of movie that leaves you with something, even if you don't realize it when you're watching it. You walk away with new ideas and ways of seeing the world around you. 

Comments