Book Review: Dead Reckoning

Hey there! Today, I decided to pick up a book off my shelf and share my review of it with you. This one was a book that my mom won on Goodreads (for those of you unfamiliar with it, Goodreads is a place where readers come together to share what they're reading, rate books, leave reviews and where you can get recommended books to read based on the books you enjoy!). She was nice enough to lend it to me so I could read it.

What I'm Listening To:

  • Danger Zone by Kenny Loggins
  • Dreams by Van Halen

Without further ado, I give you:

Dead Reckoning 

Author: Rachelle McCalla
Genre: Romantic Suspense
Year: 2011


Synopsis:

FLYING INTO PERIL

Risky maneuvers are no novelty for stunt pilot Ginny McCutcheon...until danger follows her to the ground. Someone's targeting Ginny--and former air force pilot Ben McAlister won't rest until he finds the culprit. He'll stay glued to Ginny's side until she's safe, whether the stubborn beauty accepts him there or not.

Ginny tries to resent Ben's protectiveness---and instead finds herself falling for the man whose fierce determination so perfectly matches hers. But trusting Ben means going home, something she can't bear to do. Until someone gets very close to grounding her---and Ben---forever.


Review:

Hmm...I'm a sucker for a good romance. Although my typical romances typically follow along the lines of YA and Manga. This was a really nice change of pace.

After my mom recommended it, I took my time starting it. I thought other books on my list were more important, but I was proven wrong considering that this is better than a lot of books I've read.

A lot of the romance books I had read before were like broken, empty shells. They existed only for the purpose of labeling the novel. They didn't mention that the 'love' was far from being true.

Dead Reckoning was such a pleasant surprise. I was astonished at how real the story felt. The relationship between Ben & Ginny was very well-written. I felt as if I was standing next to them the entire time, not just reading black dots on paper. Its actually very hard to give an adequate explanation as to how great that felt...

The plot was something I enjoyed a lot. It was not totally unimaginable. Everything that happened was completely possible. I love the touch of aviation that Ms. McCalla placed in the story! I am a huge fan of aircraft and aviation, so this book gave me the opportunity to get a deeper sense of knowledge about certain branches of aviation.

Ginny is a strong heroine and she is neither IMMORTAL nor PERFECT in ANY way. Nowadays, when I read books, I feel that authors are trying to create the perfect characters. The strong, invulnerable characters that are absolutely impossible to relate to. Ginny knows she is average, but she still flies in the Dare Divas Flying Troupe. Sure, she gets shot at, her trailer is burned down, and things get worse and worse for her--but she always keeps her head up and keeps fighting. Even when we, as readers, know that she'd like nothing more than crawl into bed and cry.

Ben is the perfect guy for Ginny. He IS strong and was a pilot in the Air Force. They each know the joy and exhilaration that comes from flying. But, as much as he saves, protects and CARES for Ginny, he knows deep down that he can't hold her back from what she wants to do.

After I finished this book, I was smiling...a big goofy grin right across my face. This is what a TRUE romance novel should be. I give this book a Lone Star rating of ✯✯✯✯.

Farewell until the next time,

Happy Flying!

Comments