The Man Who Loved Pride & Prejudice

So I recently bought this book and was excited to use it for my project. It looked very promising.

*Also, introducing something new, but very minor: What I'm Currently Listening To!! Just for the fun of it, maybe you'll discover a song you like!*

Currently Listening To: 
     Waterlily-The Cottars
     Byker Hill-The Cottars
     Atlantic Blue-The Cottars

The Man Who Loved Pride & Prejudice 

Author: Abigail Reynolds
Genre: Contemporary Romance Retelling
Year: 2007

Synopsis:

7283722A modern love story with a Jane Austen twist...
Marine biologist Cassie Boulton has no patience when a modern-day Mr. Darcy appears in her lab on Cape Cod. Proud, aloof Calder Westing III is the scion of a famous political family, while Cassie's success is hard-won in spite of a shameful family history.

     When their budding romance is brutally thwarted, both by his family and by hers, Calder tries to set things right by rewriting the two of them in the roles of Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth Bennett from Pride & Prejudice...but will Cassie be willing to supply the happy ending?

Review:

COVER!!!!  
I love this cover! I love the color of her dress and the tones. Speaking of which, pretty dress, rather simple but still pretty! I love the orange overtone that suggests a sunset. The water in the background gives a nice relaxed tone. And what exactly is my favorite part of the cover? The LIGHTHOUSE!!!(For those who don't know, me and my mom are really fond of lighthouses, especially the ones that we have been to in Maine!)

Enough shallow cover talk, let's move on to the nitty-gritty.
I can honestly say that this is one of the first real adult romances that I have ever read. It was a bit more vivid than the ones that I typically read (Love Inspired Series! ) It took a little getting used to, but I've got a pretty good handle of it now.

I liked the general story. Marine Biology meets Pride and Prejudice sounds like my exact cup of tea. Certain things just threw me off. Now don't get me wrong, I am a TOTAL romantic,...but after a while I just wasn't feeling it. At first I was cheering for Calder and Cassie, but eventually the spell broke and I was left wondering when I fell off the bandwagon. I still wanted them to be together, I just didn't feel how it ended up that way. Some things were really working for me, and now I'm trying to find out where in the heck I made a wrong turn and figure out where I need to be in order to get back onto the highway.

I loved reading Calder's rewriting of Pride and Prejudice!!! I can honestly say that I teared up at the same time Cassie was. How can you not absolutely love that?!?! My heart was melting into slop, right there. THAT is the reason this book gets a 4 (its not the only reason, but it IS one of the main ones).

I liked the characters overall. Cassie had so many different aspects to her and Calder was just one big surprise after another. It was a perfect onion! (peeling back the layers at a pace that is easy enough to enjoy the flavor, but not ever reaching the point of tearing up with stinging pain)
Erin changed a lot over the course of the book, which is very good. I am a fond believer that supporting characters should learn and develop just as much as the main characters do.

I really enjoyed reading the descriptions of Woods Hole. I enjoyed the beauty and simplicity of it all. Although it also had its many layers. I believe I can name that as the key technique in this novel: Layering. The layering was absolutely sublime.

Overall, this book was definitely entertaining. It was even rather insightful into the many layers each person has lying underneath the surface. They too are complex creatures just like the creatures in the salt marsh. I would definitely recommend this book to others. Particularly those who like a good romance, but don't want it to come way too easily. I give it a Lone Star rating of ✯✯✯✯. Take your time. As my Daddy always says: Its not about reaching the destination, all of the fun is in the journey. 😊

Until my next post,
Ciao!!!!

Comments