Comic Crazy: Pride & Prejudice [GN]

Once more, I bring you a Jane Austen Series Review. (In case you didn't know, I am currently working on a project in which all these books are relevant).

Pride & Prejudice: 
A Marvel Graphic Novel 

Inspired by the original novel by: Jane Austen
Adapted by: Nancy Butler & Hugo Petrus
Year: 2010


Pride and Prejudice Marvel  

Synopsis:

Tailored from the adored Jane Austen classic, Marvel Comics is proud to present an adaptation of the whimsical tale of Lizzy Bennet and her loveable-if-eccentric family, as they navigate through tricky British social circles. Will Lizzy's father manage to marry off his five daughters, despite his wife's incessant nagging? And will Lizzy's beautiful sister Jane marry the handsome, wealthy Mr. Bingley? Or will his brooding friend Mr. Darcy stand between their happiness?

Review:

Walking through the Graphic Novel section of my local library, I spotted this. I almost yelled in surprise and excitedness....but then I remembered where I was, so I didn't. Marvel is the best and Pride & Prejudice is my favorite classic novel. So this piece of awesomeness combined 2 of my favorite things.

This graphic novel really brings everything to life. Austen was a fabulous wordsmith, but I adore graphic novels....its less work(I'm not super lay-z, I just really like pictures). The main story line is still present, and all the graphics are well done. The proportioning looks okay to me and every character looks just like I thought they would.

This is one of the best adaptations I've read thus far. Given, it is the original story, but sometimes adapters take a lot of liberties. Thankfully, Butler and Petrus didn't. They stayed true to the key theme I've been targeting: Courtship.  In Austen's time, courtship was extremely important. Courtship is the driving factor for the plot of Pride & Prejudice.

Overall, I am very happy with the way this novel was done. Everything was in order, as it should be. I give it a Lone Star rating of ✯✯✯✯.

Graphic novels aren't really super reviewable, so I'll cut this here. Until my next post,
Adieu!

Comments