Prom & Prejudice

Hi! Here is another book review in my Jane Austen-inspired series. I still have quite a few more to post, so hopefully I get them up in a timely manner and you enjoy them.

Prom & Prejudice 

Author: Elizabeth Eulberg
Genre: YA Romance
Year: 2011

Synopsis: 

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single girl of high standing at Longbourn Academy must be in want of a prom date.

After winter break, the girls at the very prestigious Longbourn Academy become obsessed with the prom. Lizzie Bennet, who attends Lngbourn on a scholarship, isn't interested in designer dresses and expensive shoes, but her best friend, Jane, might be--especially now that Charles Bingley is back from a semester in London.
     Lizzie is happy about her friend's burgeoning romance, but less than impressed by Charles's friend Will Darcy, who's snobby and pretentious--and doesn't seem to like Lizzie either. Clearly, Darcy is a pompous jerk. So why does Lizzie find herself drawn to him anyway?
     Will Lizzie's pride and Will's prejudice keep them apart? Or are they a prom couple in the making? Whatever the result, Elizabeth Eulberg, author of The Lonely Hearts Club, has concocted a very funny, completely stylish delight for any season--prom or otherwise. 

Review: 

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that if I am going to review this book, I must do it justice as I would any other. Thankfully, Eulberg has done such a fantastic job, I have nothing negative to say about it. I'm going to break this one down in a different format, just for fun.

Cover: 
Delightfully pink, with a blue dress and scissors placed over the right strap as if to cut it. Fancy title writing. Girly, Fancy & Fun all at the same time. Perfect example of YA cover

The Characters:
Every character served their purpose, while still bringing pure enjoyment and expected complications. Lizzie Bennet was every bit as delightful in Prom & Prejudice as in Pride & Prejudice, just with a couple more teenage quirks (the added commitment to the piano was a nice touch). Wick was a lot more convincing as a teenage character than he was in the original work. Will Darcy was a well-written character, who seemed a lot more fun in this book than in the original. [or maybe I just like them all to be teenage characters rather than relative grown-ups] It was kinda strange to see Jane & Elizabeth as close friends instead of sisters. I see how it was relevant to the story, but at the same time, their bond didn't seem as tight as it should have been. 

The Chemistry:
Lizzie and Will have such a great chemistry, that they are just as believable a couple as the original Elizabeth and Fitzwilliam, minus the whole propriety marriage idea presented in older times. I especially love the lines that Will uses on Lizzie at the end of the book, when everything magically fits together. 

Miscellaneous:
I really liked that Will Darcy had a mom in this book instead of just an aunt. I never really like the aunt in the original Pride & Prejudice, so it was nice that Miss Eulberg decided to change things up a bit. Also, I liked that Lydia was not related to Elizabeth and only to Jane. Jane and Lydia are polar opposites and it was nice to see them juxtaposed without tossing Lizzie into the mix. I especially love the fact that Lizzie was so committed to the piano {I know I already mentioned this, but I just loved it so much I have to toss it in one more time}. It added room for a couple more adjustments that really made this story wonderfully different at its core. 

All In All:
This book was delightfully entertaining. I loved how well the original novel has been adapted to become more relatable for teens. This story, while mostly true to the original, does take on a life of its own and is about much more than simply courtship. It is about making friends, finding out who you are, and discovering the true character/natures of the people who surround you. Do not judge based on money, when there is so much more to every person than meets the eye. I give it a Lone Star rating of ✯✯✯✯.   ðŸ˜Š


Until the next time we meet,
            Au Revoir!!!  

Comments