Book Judging

"Don't judge a book by its cover."

My question: Why Not??  

I'm sure we've all done it. I do it all the time! I don't think judging a book based on its cover is necessarily a bad thing. I love to read.

Being my first blog post, EVER, I figured, "why not give a little insight into how I do things by talking about something a lot of readers do?" So in order to help you indecisive readers a bit, let's begin.

      It may sound bad, even harsh, but in reality, I don't think that is the case. Whenever I pick up a book, I have a routine that helps me see if a book is worthwhile or not. & to see how much my interest gets piqued.  This could be potentially helpful to those of you who don't know whether or not you actually feel like "wasting your time" on a book. Although I can honestly say, I don't think that is possible either.



  1.    *Title: Read it. Is it interesting? Does it spark any interest? What does it make you think of?
  2.    *Size: Do you have time for it? Do you think you could make it all the way through?
  3.    *Summary: Read the back or inside cover. Does the plot seem interesting? Are you at all curious? 
  4.    *Cover: Covers say a lot! Does it fit any of your preferences? Do you feel drawn to the book? 
  5.     *Sample: Read the first sentence or first paragraph. Are you caught? Do you want to continue?  

Once you've completed these steps, you should have a pretty good idea of the book and by now you should know whether or not you want to check it out. I used to have a hard time picking out books that were actually interesting and disregarding the ones that bored me after a while. So, the steps above were my solution. I hope this helps any of you picky readers and I really hope this tip helps you find your next favorite book, as well as weed out the ones that will leave you hungry.

*      Any of these steps can be moved around or disregarded based on your preferences.
*      Step 4 is completely preference based. Some factors you may want to consider: color, picture appeal, text style, etc. Details help draw us in. Just find your preference and have fun. If you are an elemental reader, you may like books with water, fire, air or earth related thing. For all you romantics, you may be a sucker for hearts, hand holding, couples & kisses. No matter what you prefer, stick to your instincts. Follow your gizzard, but remember that it is always okay to take chances.😁   

Comments