Book Review: H2O

Around January, Brannon Hollingsworth was kind enough to send me the book he wrote with Austin Boyd for review. I've been looking through my bookshelf and found H2O sitting there waiting for me to share my review of it here with all of my dear readers. I would like to thank Mr. Hollingsworth for giving me the opportunity to read such a good book and hope this review does it justice.

What I'm Listening To:
  • Somebody To Love by Queen
  • Don't Go Breaking My Heart by Elton John and Kiki Dee


H2O

Authors: Austin Boyd & Brannon Hollingsworth
Genre: Contemporary
Year: 2011



Synopsis:

----Taken from the back of the book

She's lost control.

Kate pepper has it all...a razor-sharp intellect, perfect health, stunning beauty, a wildly successful career, and all the money she can spend. Or rather, she thinks she has it all. Despite the perfect shell, there's something dark inside Kate. Terrible visions send her into a deep depression and her world crumbles every time she gets wet. All her business savvy and elite connections don't make a difference; she has lost control. Who will save her? Xavier, her predatory boyfriend, Candice, the wholesome waitress at her favorite coffee shop, or a mysterious Internet friend? At the bottom of her dark well, desperate to get out of the water, there's nowhere to reach but up.

Review:


I'll start by doing a quick character examination.

Characters:

Kate Pepper- A very likable, relatable heroine who seems to be getting deeper and deeper into trouble. She begins to have visions whenever water touches her. It seems like someone is trying to reach her, but who? I was cheering for Kate throughout the entire book. She definitely has her moments, and who can forget that Ice Slice?? Overall, I just adored her. She endures terrible relationships throughout her life and finally finds her escape...with the help of her new friends of course.

Xavier- The character I hated most of all. He is so....*exasperated sigh*...infuriating. He's only concerned with himself, his image and how people around him--Kate---are used to accessorize him. A man in need of serious help...as I'm typing, I'm just getting more and more disgusted. He redeemed himself slightly, but not enough to make me like him at all.

Andrea- Kate's best friend. I liked her, she seemed like a really nice girl who provided a stability that was necessary in Kate's overturned life. Not the main stability, but at least part of the foundation.

Hiram- A great character who pops up pretty frequently. He sells coffee at his shop that provides Internet to Seattle. Hiram provides Kate with guidance throughout the book that ultimately help lead to her salvation.

Now that I'm done with characters, we can move on.
The plot was wonderfully developed and I couldn't put the book down until I was done. I love the way Kate was shaped through all the event she went through. I also love that not everything was given away at the beginning of the book. Slowly, I was able to learn about and care for Kate. She wasn't just thrown at me all at one time. I really enjoyed not having her entire history laid out on the table. The mystery was kept and slowly unraveled. Good feeling of suspense there. Another one of my favorite points was that Kate was able to discover and love herself. She reached the point where she could forgive herself and be forgiven. There were no loose ends, which was absolutely awesome. This book is definitely a masterpiece. I'm glad I took the plunge. I give this book a Lone Star rating of 4.

Until the next review,
Take The Plunge!!

Comments